Skip to main content

Post-Op Appt

My appointment this morning wasn't too exciting. It was mainly to take out the sutures on my face & neck. My surgeon said everything was looking good. He asked me what I thought and then agreed with me that it's too hard to tell with the puffiness. Apparently I'm still 70% swollen. Not cool, man. Not cool.
This swelling needs to get the f out of here.
I got the stitches out, which didn't hurt despite having feeling there. Then I got some x-rays. I'm not able to put my teeth completely together because of the splint. It's in the way. The surgeon wasn't worried though so I'm not either.

He also cleaned the back of my splint!! Food gets stuck in it like no joke. :( The splint has an arch in the back that supports the roof of my mouth that grabs everything. He said that sometimes they cut that part out after a week, but not for me unfortunately. :( He said I was doing an okay at cleaning though other than back part. I've not been trying very hard though, haha. Get to make an appointment to that this splint out in approx. 5 weeks. Sucks. Hardcore. It's so hard to talk.

Being at home has been nice, but my air seems to be dryer than my mom's. So my nose is going crazy. Sleeping was... challenging. But I managed after a while.

I'm off the pain meds. Just taking Tylenol as needed. Which doesn't seem to help either way. It's not painful, but uncomfortable. Especially the puffiness.

Not a very uplifting entry. It's so nice outside. But it's been a blah day. About to pick-up my car and spend like $400 on it so I'm not excited. At least we get to pick-up Amelia afterwards! Yay!

Comments

  1. I have heard about splints reading some other blogs: does everyone have one? It seems like some people mention them and some don't. I just had an upper palate expander removed. For some reason it reminds me of a splint (maybe the cleaning part).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The splint is similar to that I think. It's basically a plastic arch piece that goes over and around my upper teeth. It helps keep everything in place. The muscles want to move the bones before they're ready and the splint helps under the bones are strong enough to do it on their own.

      Not everyone needs the splint. Lucky them. Hopefully you're not one of them! haha. I didn't need it until they decided to go up into my sinuses and clip the tissue. They had to go up through behind my front teeth. It just depends on the procedure I guess.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul

De-braced!

As of Tuesday- my braces are officially off! :) And let me tell you... I can't stop taking selfies!!! Just minutes after getting out of the orthodontist's office.  Everyone was so excited for me! It took approximately one minute to get them off. That's so crazy! Hurt a little bit, but not much and was sooo quick. Bye bye braces AND arch wire! YUP. You read that right! I don't need an arch wire on the roof of my mouth anymore! He said I should be fine without it!!! So right now I have NO metal in my mouth! *hallelujiah* I have my upper (plastic) retainer. It's amazing and beautiful. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it! I will have to wear both my retainers 24/7 (except for eating and brushing) for 4 months. That's like nothing, haha. I don't have my bottom retainer yet. He asked me if I'm okay with a regular (metal) one for the bottom. I don't even care, haha. So I will be getting that one next week. They said it might be hard to talk wit

1 YEAR POST OP

Well HEY! Nothing much has been happening with my mouth lately (WHICH IS GREAT!) so that's why I haven't updated or anything. But TODAY marks ONE YEAR since my jaw was broken in two places! Can't believe that I went though with it. It was honestly the best medical decision of my life (except for maybe my epidural HAHA). I wear my retainers in the evenings and all night. I see my orthodontist and my surgeon in April. I'm hoping I get the go ahead from my ortho to only wear to bed, but we'll see. I'm still extremely happy with my smile. There are tiny gaps in little places occurring but there's nothing I can do about those- says my ortho. Just normal movement. They don't bother me either. I still can't really feel my upper gums, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's just weird sometimes. I love my smile! I wish I had more to say, but here's some photo spam instead. :P Me, TODAY. Loving life and my new smile!  Me