Skip to main content

Two weeks post-op!

I can't believe I've made it two weeks! Since my 10 day post I feel like my face changed so much! Still dealing with a ton of swelling but I look a little more "normal." Also this is my first day without the JAW BRA!! It's awesome. I did my hair (aka dried it) for the first time in more than 2 weeks!!! Woohooo!!

Food: I'm eating just about everything I can get into my mouth, haha. I mean I had a piece of pizza the other day. It took me like 20 minutes to finish it by cutting it into really small little pieces, but I did finish it! Haha! Except for the crust. Today was the first day I used real silverware (not baby spoons)!! I can control my upper lip mostly now and put my lips together so I am able to get the stuff off of the spoon/fork. No chewing still, obviously, but I've learned to break up what I can with my tongue and bottom teeth. My obsession lately has been bread rolls. HA. Needless to say I've only lost about 10 lbs since the surgery. Definitely getting my calories in. So eating/drinking- not a big deal anymore. Still loving the smoothies, too. Those are pretty healthy generally, though.

Numbness: I swear I've been feeling more over the past two days. I can feel most of my nose, except for the tip and nostrils. And more of my upper lip, but the apples of my cheeks (where the swelling is the worst) is still really numb. Anytime my hair touches my face it itches like crazy, haha. Good sign I think though.

Pain: My teeth have been a little more sensitive (especially when I eat cold things) so I've been in a little more pain. Not really pain per say, just achiness.

Sleep: Back to normal! I've been kind of sleeping on my side. I'm sure it's not helping the swelling, but my swelling is mostly on the front of the face so I'm not too worried about it.

Breathing: It's been really great lately. No more bloody nose! Breathing at night is still okay, but I'm still using my vaporizer. I'm sure that helps.

Energy: We took a walk yesterday around the neighborhood with the stroller and by the time we got back I was exhausted. I took a nap! I haven't taken a nap during the day since like day 5, lol. I also have been taking care of a sick baby. That's exhausting, too. She would not let us put her down at all. I loved cuddling with her, but I couldn't really do much else. I also decided that I'm going back to work early... ahhh. I'm just a little bored at home. My work is not physical labor and I'm only going back 4 days early. So that's happening! Just got the okay from the surgeon's office.

Skin: I'm SUPER annoyed with my skin right now. I'm breaking out below my lower lip and below my nose. And my cheeks are like peeling... I don't understand why. I exfoliate and use lotion and aquaphor. Nothing seems to help. I think the under my nose problem was from wiping my nose out so much. Now that I'm not doing that anymore I'm hoping it will go away. Overall this (and getting food stuck) is my greatest annoyance from jaw surgery. 

I'm still pretty concerned that I feel like I have an overbite. I know the surgeon said it was not a big deal and it was from the splint, but I'm still kind of freaking out about it. Luckily I go back to see him next Tuesday.

Before profile
After profile. Still puffy. :( Also my lower lip is a little more set-back. =\
Still kind of hurts to smile. It feels like I'm stretching a lot when I do.
This is the biggest smile I can manage!

I love my new smile. Not as "toothy" as before where you can only see like all of my upper teeth. I know I will only start to love it more! And I can tell from these two pics that the bottom of my nose is still pretty swollen.

Okay that's my 2-week update! Overall I'm feeling pretty great. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De-braced!

As of Tuesday- my braces are officially off! :) And let me tell you... I can't stop taking selfies!!! Just minutes after getting out of the orthodontist's office.  Everyone was so excited for me! It took approximately one minute to get them off. That's so crazy! Hurt a little bit, but not much and was sooo quick. Bye bye braces AND arch wire! YUP. You read that right! I don't need an arch wire on the roof of my mouth anymore! He said I should be fine without it!!! So right now I have NO metal in my mouth! *hallelujiah* I have my upper (plastic) retainer. It's amazing and beautiful. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it! I will have to wear both my retainers 24/7 (except for eating and brushing) for 4 months. That's like nothing, haha. I don't have my bottom retainer yet. He asked me if I'm okay with a regular (metal) one for the bottom. I don't even care, haha. So I will be getting that one next week. They said it might be hard to talk wit

1 YEAR POST OP

Well HEY! Nothing much has been happening with my mouth lately (WHICH IS GREAT!) so that's why I haven't updated or anything. But TODAY marks ONE YEAR since my jaw was broken in two places! Can't believe that I went though with it. It was honestly the best medical decision of my life (except for maybe my epidural HAHA). I wear my retainers in the evenings and all night. I see my orthodontist and my surgeon in April. I'm hoping I get the go ahead from my ortho to only wear to bed, but we'll see. I'm still extremely happy with my smile. There are tiny gaps in little places occurring but there's nothing I can do about those- says my ortho. Just normal movement. They don't bother me either. I still can't really feel my upper gums, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's just weird sometimes. I love my smile! I wish I had more to say, but here's some photo spam instead. :P Me, TODAY. Loving life and my new smile!  Me

Day 4

Today actually felt a little worse. I think that's because it was just me and my mom today. Jonny went back to work and Amelia went back to daycare. So I took a morning and late afternoon nap. I know it's probably a good thing, but it made me feel more tired. I even took a shower, that really used a ton of energy. And my skin feels more oily than before my shower. Really? So dumb. And I still cannot breathe outta my nose! I stopped using the intense nose spray from the hospital because it can cause more problems if you use it for too long. I just wanna breathe so badly! Saline nose spray helps for .5 seconds, but then it closes up again. I just wanna blow my nose, but I know that's a no-go. :( Food today- I had a ton if it! Scrambled eggs and cream of wheat for breakfast. Tomato soup with crackers for lunch (and pudding and a milkshake!) Dinner was chicken noodle soup with crackers and mashed potatoes and gravy. Yeah so not sure I'm gonna lose any weight here, lol.