Skip to main content

2 months post op!

Wow! I can't believe it's been 2 months already! SO much has changed within the past 2 weeks. I'm hoping it's all thanks to my splint removal! That thing was miserable.

Things are really great right now. Amelia, 10 months old ahhhhh, is sleeping through the night now and that makes a HUGE difference.

Swelling: It still varies, but it's mostly not noticeable to random people. I notice a little bit. Still around my upper cheeks but it's definitely not as bad as it was. Now that I'm chewing I think that has helped a lot. My lips are back to their regular size!

Numbness: My upper palate and upper gums are still numb. Makes things a little hard to chew but I'm getting the hang of it. Not sure if I'll ever get feeling back there. It's a little annoying because I think I have a cavity on one of my upper teeth and it hurts to floss, but only at the root of my tooth, haha. I guess that's a good thing?

Pain: Only after ortho adjustments. No residual jaw pain or anything. So that's great!

Short update. Not much to tell at the moment. I only have to wear my elastics at night now- which is great! My orthodontist said I made his day yesterday! :D My teeth fit together like a normal mouth. It's amazing really. Biting into things is SO satisfying. It's wonderful. I got new hair, too! I love it!

Here's some photos!!



See how my bottom teeth are actually behind my top teeth? So crazy! So great. Eating is wonderful. Also in the upper (BEFORE) shot you can see how set-back my whole jaw was (malocclusion definition) and how my face is so much more balanced now.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day! :)

Comments

  1. Yay! It sounds like things are going well! I cannot wait to be able to actually chomp through something myself! Are you eating completely solid foods now? I think that is where I am a little fuzzy. Some people seem to start sooner than others; I guess it depends on the surgery(or surgeries) and your healing.

    It all looks great! I'm so ready to be on the other side but still so far away. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to vary with the surgery, but my surgeon actually encouraged me to chew as SOON as I got my splint out (at 6 weeks). It really helped me get more feeling back and bring down the swelling. He said just do what you can. It's still pretty difficult for me to bite into a burger as my jaw doesn't open wide enough, but when I can fit stuff- it's amazing because all my teeth touch now!

      You won't regret getting the jaw surgery! It makes eating THAT much more enjoyable. I can tell you I've gained all the weight back I lost from jaw surgery! Haha! So worth it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the kind words!! It's been a crazy 2 months and it just keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1 YEAR POST OP

Well HEY! Nothing much has been happening with my mouth lately (WHICH IS GREAT!) so that's why I haven't updated or anything. But TODAY marks ONE YEAR since my jaw was broken in two places! Can't believe that I went though with it. It was honestly the best medical decision of my life (except for maybe my epidural HAHA). I wear my retainers in the evenings and all night. I see my orthodontist and my surgeon in April. I'm hoping I get the go ahead from my ortho to only wear to bed, but we'll see. I'm still extremely happy with my smile. There are tiny gaps in little places occurring but there's nothing I can do about those- says my ortho. Just normal movement. They don't bother me either. I still can't really feel my upper gums, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's just weird sometimes. I love my smile! I wish I had more to say, but here's some photo spam instead. :P Me, TODAY. Loving life and my new smile!  Me

De-braced!

As of Tuesday- my braces are officially off! :) And let me tell you... I can't stop taking selfies!!! Just minutes after getting out of the orthodontist's office.  Everyone was so excited for me! It took approximately one minute to get them off. That's so crazy! Hurt a little bit, but not much and was sooo quick. Bye bye braces AND arch wire! YUP. You read that right! I don't need an arch wire on the roof of my mouth anymore! He said I should be fine without it!!! So right now I have NO metal in my mouth! *hallelujiah* I have my upper (plastic) retainer. It's amazing and beautiful. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it! I will have to wear both my retainers 24/7 (except for eating and brushing) for 4 months. That's like nothing, haha. I don't have my bottom retainer yet. He asked me if I'm okay with a regular (metal) one for the bottom. I don't even care, haha. So I will be getting that one next week. They said it might be hard to talk wit

Almost 5 months post-op!

WOW this year is just FLYING by. I have my rubber band back on. Tight ones this time. Not really a big deal. But that happened. Got my expander in place! It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. It doesn't affect my speaking AT ALL and it's super easy to keep clean because there's a lot of space above it. Here it is: No more big thick wire for me! My upper gums are still numb. It doesn't really affect me- I'm just concerned I'm not brushing at well as I used to. I'm trying. Thinking about rescheduling my dentist cleaning appt. I probably shouldn't though. Not sure when these braces are coming off.... I'll ask what the dentist office thinks. On that note I am SO unhappy with the color my upper teeth have become. A combination of bad enamel, too much coffee and braces. Not cool. Can't wait to get these stupid things off! My ortho keeps saying "it won't be long now!" I had 3 appts in a row and he was pretty positi