Skip to main content

Pre-Op Appointment!

Well I made it through the long pre-op appointment. Even though it was long- it went by super quickly. SO MUCH information. My brain literally hurt afterwards. Be prepared for a long blog post. 

One thing I knew for sure leaving the appointment- I could not have picked a better surgeon team. The chief resident (who I talked the most with) was super fantastic and answered all my questions and then some. He was so easy to talk to. Dr. Ochs- the main guy that is actually doing the surgery- was just as awesome as I remember him. I haven't actually talked face-to-face with him since August 2012! Crazy, I know. I just worked with him through my ortho.

I had to sign my life away saying I know full-well all the risks, yada, yada. And sign-off on the procedures. We started with two procedures on the sheet.... and then added two more. HA. The one is pretty minor though.

I took a pic because I knew I wouldn't be able to remember them! I can hardly pronounce them still, haha. One thing is I'm definitely getting DOUBLE jaw surgery. Not just upper. Which has its pros and cons I guess. Anyway:
Click to read it. 
  1. The segmental LeFort 1 osteotomy is the largest movement for me. This will also push my nose up a bit so it won't look so large, which is a nice side effect.
  2. The second one is for the bottom jaw obviously- mandibular rami sagittal split osteotomies! What a mouth full, literally. ;) Hahaha. I kid
  3. The third procedure (not listed) is that they are going to "trim" the largest turbinates in my nose. I'm sure you're asking - what the heck is a turbinate? I was too! lol Turbinates, also called nasal concha are to support the 'air-controlling' and 'air filtering' functions of your nose when you're breathing in an out.

    After getting the CBCT scan - they both agreed that my nasal passages were so small that this will severely improve my breathing. The reasoning behind this is that they found that my ENTIRE left sinus cavity is completely blocked the whole way up to my forehead. Yay. No wonder I can't shake this cough/sinus headache. The post-nasal drip is killing me. I had to get Amoxicillian and Sudafed to help clear it up a little bit. He said they will clear it out for me during surgery, but they don't want too much bad stuff in there to begin with. Going to try a Neti Pot again, too. Ugh.

    The BAD part about this procedure is where they have to enter to get there.... Through my two front teeth... They will have to cut the wire and go up through there. There's always a chance of discoloring/or needing a root canal of any tooth during jaw surgery, but it would suck if it was the front one.

    AND I MIGHT have to get a arched splint for the front teeth. That would obviously suck and would have to be in place for 5-6 weeks. Making everything more difficult... but it is what it is.
  4. The 4th procedure is unnecessary, but I agreed to it- they asked me if I wanted to suction off the fat patch under my chin. They I would be super happy with the results and they wouldn't bill me for it because it takes the shortest time. So I'm like... sure, why not?! You're there anyway. They hardly used this word but it's TOTALLY lipo-suction. That's hilarious.

    The only downside to this will be I will have to wear the compression neck/jaw/bra ALL the time for 2 weeks straight. Usually you only have to wear it at night with regular jaw surgery, but it will keep everything tight for me. I can live with this. :) I'm gonna be so stylish, haha.
Sooooooooooo along with taking a million measurements, molds, and pictures with and without the "fish-hooks" they took a CBCT scan (which I mentioned above). It's "Cone-Bean Computed Typoraphy" so they will digitally do my surgery before they do it on me. What a relief, haha. It's super intense apparently. You can google it, haha. 

Then they answered my one million questions. And as long as I'm taking the narcotic drugs after surgery- I can't breastfeed... so we'll see how long I plan on taking them. They recommend 4-5 days to keep me comfortable. Pumping and dumping sounds like it will be miserable. I have a good amount stocked in the freezer so I should be okay for up to a week. 

Then the intern took down my history and anything they might need to know for surgery. And I was out of there by 4:30ish. So like 2.5 hours. It was so informative and I never sat by myself for more than a few minutes. Very efficient. 

Although I wish I could have taken a pic of my face with these dots on. They needed them on to line up with the CBCT scan. I looked hilarious. 

Annoyingly enough- Amelia has been so fussy these past few nights. Last night was the worst. She woke up like every other hour. And she would just NOT settle. It sucked. She ate so much though. She hardly had anything at daycare so that may have been why. So I'm hoping this sleep regression or whatever it is goes away by go-time for surgery. It would suck all around.

Lastly- it was semi-amusing because the resident was the one who rescheduled my appointment stating that with the new obligation he wanted to make sure he spent enough time with me (2 hours is a while). But at my ortho appt on Tuesday I didn't know about the movement of the date. So I told my ortho it wasn't until Tuesday, which was true at the time. SO he had put that heavier wire on- causing my teeth to hurt/move. 

So that's only three days to give them time to move. Dr. Ochs wasn't thrilled, but he said the most movement is within 48 hours. He was about to chastise my ortho (in a joking way) but then the resident said it was his bad, haha. It was just an amusing moment. 

Okay that seems like enough for today. I cried a little bit in the car on the way home... just because it's becoming all too real for me. After I got pregnant it seemed like a world away... now it's less than three weeks away. Scary. 

Some selfies because I know I'll be mad I didn't take anymore.


A little blurry (hard to take a sideways selfie, lol) but it's a good profile shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De-braced!

As of Tuesday- my braces are officially off! :) And let me tell you... I can't stop taking selfies!!! Just minutes after getting out of the orthodontist's office.  Everyone was so excited for me! It took approximately one minute to get them off. That's so crazy! Hurt a little bit, but not much and was sooo quick. Bye bye braces AND arch wire! YUP. You read that right! I don't need an arch wire on the roof of my mouth anymore! He said I should be fine without it!!! So right now I have NO metal in my mouth! *hallelujiah* I have my upper (plastic) retainer. It's amazing and beautiful. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it! I will have to wear both my retainers 24/7 (except for eating and brushing) for 4 months. That's like nothing, haha. I don't have my bottom retainer yet. He asked me if I'm okay with a regular (metal) one for the bottom. I don't even care, haha. So I will be getting that one next week. They said it might be hard to talk wit

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul

Day 4

Today actually felt a little worse. I think that's because it was just me and my mom today. Jonny went back to work and Amelia went back to daycare. So I took a morning and late afternoon nap. I know it's probably a good thing, but it made me feel more tired. I even took a shower, that really used a ton of energy. And my skin feels more oily than before my shower. Really? So dumb. And I still cannot breathe outta my nose! I stopped using the intense nose spray from the hospital because it can cause more problems if you use it for too long. I just wanna breathe so badly! Saline nose spray helps for .5 seconds, but then it closes up again. I just wanna blow my nose, but I know that's a no-go. :( Food today- I had a ton if it! Scrambled eggs and cream of wheat for breakfast. Tomato soup with crackers for lunch (and pudding and a milkshake!) Dinner was chicken noodle soup with crackers and mashed potatoes and gravy. Yeah so not sure I'm gonna lose any weight here, lol.