Skip to main content

Thrown a curveball!

Had my bi-annual dental cleaning yesterday with my regular dentist- and it was not such a great visit for several reasons. As luck would have it- he found a cavity. BAHHH. I haven't had one in over a year! And yes that's really good for my teeth. 

My mouth is EXTREMELY acidic and I've had cavities ever since I can remember. So much drilling. Not from lack of brushing/flossing/rinsing! The acid has caused my enamel to erode and makes my teeth more prone to cavities. It sucks. Some people have more plaque, some have more cavities. I have like no plaque ever, but always cavities. 

AND- the hygienist usually cleans my teeth with this power washer that shoots this salt-water solution, but for the second appointment in a row it was non-functional! She couldn't find a piece that she needed even though she just used the machine on Tuesday. I was livid. It's like my favorite thing. I hate salt-water but it makes my teeth feel awesome afterwards. It's basically a waterpik but WAY more intense.

Speaking of which- I may invest in one of those. Need to talk to hubby about it first though. The small ones are only like $30 at Wal-mart so I'm sure he won't mind. Any recommendations of those?

Okay anyway. I have added ANOTHER appt into the mix. But the problem is that my dentist thinks he may have to remove the wire from my braces to adequately get to it. It's on the back of my front tooth though so I'm not sure why. Anyway we had to plan it so if he does end up taking off the wire- I won't have it off for long before an orthodonist appt. I have a million of those so really it wasn't that big of a deal, but I'm just annoyed because it's another appt I had to schedule and more time off of work that I NEED. Here's my UPDATED dental schedule:

February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist)
March 4th- Regular ortho appt (might have to add an extra bracket, change wires)
March 11th- Pre-Op appt with surgeon
March 17th- Cavity filling
March 18th- Ortho to get surgical hooks attached
March 21st- Call hospital to get exact surgery time
March 24th- JAW SURGERY

Little babe is back to eating fairly normally. She eats three meals a day now along with three bottles. Sometimes two. Plus evening/night-time nursing sessions. Hopefully it's enough to get her into the normal weight range, haha. 

Today we're leaving work early to pick her up and head to a friend's surprise party. It should be an interesting experiment with the kiddo.

The gap is increasing between my two front teeth as well. I don't know if my ortho wants that to happen or not... Either way I'll ask him on the 4th. 

Just so tired of being on top of everything. The laundry/dishes/baby stuff/appts/work is never-ending. Just want to be done with it all. I also realized that I'm going to be staying at my parent's house for a few days after surgery, which is great, but probably unrealistic. I don't think I'd be able to be away from my baby girl that long. I know I'll see her... but not enough. So we'll see how I'm feeling after a few days. Just trying to make it easy on my mom who is taking off a whole week of work to assist me. I need my mom now, so I'm sure Amelia still needs her's too. ;) 

These two are my world. <3

Comments

  1. Hi Larissa,

    How are you feeling being so close to surgery now? It must be difficult trying to plan things and get organised with your cute new little one too.

    My ortho treatment opened up a couple gaps before my op, I was just thinking "well if i don't say anything then it wont get pushed back" but actually it turns out those gaps were deliberate in order to give me some tiny little space to get my liquids in after my op.

    I was sooooooo grateful for those spaces, it is difficult getting liquid in once your banded shut and all swollen, you eventually get the hang of it and those little gaps are how you will eat/drink.

    Do a little test, and ask your hubby to clench his teeth shut and put a straw to his teeth and without opening his teeth suck up some water from a cup. It's hard work! obviously I couldn't practice this before my op because I had a huge underbite so therefor a giant gap for liquid to get through, but if you can try and remember where your gaps are that will help you once you're on the other side of the op.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! That makes a lot sense. I'm used to having a huge gap between my top and bottom teeth so I never even thought about how I would get anything in there.

      My orthodontist did mention that the surgeon was satisfied with a gap between my two teeth on top which is where they need to make the incision (gross), but it's changed dramatically from my last appt- I'm sure it's nothing a power chain can't fix! Ha!

      I'm pretty nervous about the surgery in general, but more so just worried about my little one and how she will adjust to not seeing me in the middle of the night for a few days. Or when she does see me not being able to recognize me from being all swollen. I know it's just a few days and she won't even remember this, but it's still stressing me out.

      Thanks for the comment! After reading yours (and other) blogs, I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul

De-braced!

As of Tuesday- my braces are officially off! :) And let me tell you... I can't stop taking selfies!!! Just minutes after getting out of the orthodontist's office.  Everyone was so excited for me! It took approximately one minute to get them off. That's so crazy! Hurt a little bit, but not much and was sooo quick. Bye bye braces AND arch wire! YUP. You read that right! I don't need an arch wire on the roof of my mouth anymore! He said I should be fine without it!!! So right now I have NO metal in my mouth! *hallelujiah* I have my upper (plastic) retainer. It's amazing and beautiful. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it! I will have to wear both my retainers 24/7 (except for eating and brushing) for 4 months. That's like nothing, haha. I don't have my bottom retainer yet. He asked me if I'm okay with a regular (metal) one for the bottom. I don't even care, haha. So I will be getting that one next week. They said it might be hard to talk wit

Mardi Gras fun?

There's just not enough hours in the day anymore... Thankfully, our little one has been mostly sleeping through the night so I can go to bed at a normal hour... like 10 rather than 8:30... to get my precious sleep in. It's only March 4th and I have YET AGAIN added ANOTHER dental appointment. And an eye doctor appointment for kicks... Here's ANOTHER updated appt. schedule. Kill me now. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regular ortho appt March 11th 6th- Pre-Op appt with surgeon (Moved up for some reason related to the dental school where my surgeon is the Dean). March 17th AM- Ortho is going to remove my wire for my dentist (at a different office, ugh.) March 17th PM- Cavity filling March 18th- Ortho to get wire back on and surgical hooks attached March 21st- Call hospital to get exact surgery time March 22nd- Eye doctor's appointment (yes- it was necessary) March 24th- JAW SURGERY Shut the front door. Too much to handle. A