Skip to main content

Summer surgery?

My orthodontist called me today and said he met with the surgeon and went over my molds and they think I'm READY for SURGERY. Possibly this summer. Oh baby. Literally oh baby.

I had to kindly remind my orthodontist that I would be giving birth in July- thus surgery is very much out of the question. Darn baby. (Whom I already love dearly and do not blame in any way, LOL)

I should have known that my braces wouldn't be on for too long since my teeth weren't that crooked to begin with.

So while this is GREAT news... I'll still have braces until at least early winter. The ortho said I'll get my "final" wire on next week... then it's a waiting game.

He suggested waiting until after the baby is born to call the surgeon- then we can start the process of getting it scheduled, since it will take several months to set that up.

Here's my current mouth- my teeth are all very straight and just my jaw is whacked clearly. More so since I got that tooth pulled. Still haven't figured out what we're doing about that.
Still banded, but as straight as they're gonna get!

This was in November I think. Definite improvement. (It's backwards, fyi)
Well that's my update. Life is pretty crazy with baby stuff right now. Just trying to survive it all. :) I'm loving every second of it.

My braces suck, but really they don't affect me very much anymore. I can handle them. The surgery on the other hand- is a whole 'notha story. Especially with a newborn. I'm nervous that it will affect my ability to be a good mom, but I just need to remind myself that it is only a month or two that I won't be "myself." Clearly I'm not defined by my eating habits and shouldn't let that hinder my ability to be a normal person, whether or not I can open my mouth or not, LOL.

Have a great day, peeps! So happy that it's feeling like spring outside finally! :)

Comments

  1. Just ran across your blog : ) I just had double jaw surgery 14 days ago, and I was just telling my husband that I am now glad I went ahead with it. I can imagine especially the first 2 weeks will be difficult with a young baby, but you will survive! Seems like you are optimistic, that will help you get through it! : ) Hope you have safe delivery and the little one is healthy! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather! Just getting around to responding to your comment now- haha! Life is crazy with a newborn obviously. And I know that those first two weeks will be the worst but thankfully I'm going to have some awesome family members helping me out. So I'm trying not to stress so I can focus solely on getting healed up quick! Hope your recovery is going great! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul

De-braced!

As of Tuesday- my braces are officially off! :) And let me tell you... I can't stop taking selfies!!! Just minutes after getting out of the orthodontist's office.  Everyone was so excited for me! It took approximately one minute to get them off. That's so crazy! Hurt a little bit, but not much and was sooo quick. Bye bye braces AND arch wire! YUP. You read that right! I don't need an arch wire on the roof of my mouth anymore! He said I should be fine without it!!! So right now I have NO metal in my mouth! *hallelujiah* I have my upper (plastic) retainer. It's amazing and beautiful. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it! I will have to wear both my retainers 24/7 (except for eating and brushing) for 4 months. That's like nothing, haha. I don't have my bottom retainer yet. He asked me if I'm okay with a regular (metal) one for the bottom. I don't even care, haha. So I will be getting that one next week. They said it might be hard to talk wit

Mardi Gras fun?

There's just not enough hours in the day anymore... Thankfully, our little one has been mostly sleeping through the night so I can go to bed at a normal hour... like 10 rather than 8:30... to get my precious sleep in. It's only March 4th and I have YET AGAIN added ANOTHER dental appointment. And an eye doctor appointment for kicks... Here's ANOTHER updated appt. schedule. Kill me now. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regular ortho appt March 11th 6th- Pre-Op appt with surgeon (Moved up for some reason related to the dental school where my surgeon is the Dean). March 17th AM- Ortho is going to remove my wire for my dentist (at a different office, ugh.) March 17th PM- Cavity filling March 18th- Ortho to get wire back on and surgical hooks attached March 21st- Call hospital to get exact surgery time March 22nd- Eye doctor's appointment (yes- it was necessary) March 24th- JAW SURGERY Shut the front door. Too much to handle. A