Skip to main content

3 months post-op!

Hello, all! I can't believe it's been 3 months since double-jaw surgery! Amazing, really!

These past few weeks I have been back to eating salads and man I missed them sooooooo much! They are so much easier to eat now then before surgery! It's amazing! Here's a few basic updates then we'll get into orthodontics.

Swelling: Still hanging around on my upper cheeks, but lessened from last month at least! So annoying, still.

Numbness: Can now feel PARTS of my upper palate (YAY!) but my upper gums are still pretty numb in the front. A little less numb closer to the back of my mouth. Pretty annoying actually, but whatever.

Pain: Sometimes when brushing (top teeth still sensitive). And after ortho adjustments (TODAY!).


Yay! I love my smile! My nose still looks a little big when I smile, but I don't really care. As long as I can chew - it's alllll gravy, baby!

Had an orthodontist appt this morning! Good news all around! He had a resident shadowing him so he was a little more talkative than normal. :P

Things I learned:
  • Everything is looking great- keep wearing my rubber bands just at night (I've only forgot ONE time!).
  • I am getting an upper palate expander wire (so that means I had to make 3 appts in a row- one for the separator, one to place the expander, and then a regular appt and to take molds). 
  • The expander wire will have to stay on even after I get my braces off- for 8 months! (but not forever- this is because once my braces are off- the cheek muscles are going to try to fight back to take that extra space- so the expander will keep that from happening.)
  • I AM PROBABLY GOING TO GET MY BRACES OFF AFTER 2 MORE ADJUSTMENTS!
YUP- you read that correctly! I obviously don't have a date yet, but my next official "appt" is August 12th. Then probably a September appointment of some sort, then I COULD POSSIBLY have them off by Halloween! That would make my October the best ever! *Fingers crossed* for me everyone!

As Cassie said in her recentish entry- life goes on. My baby girl is turning one in less than a month. Can't believe it. We're planning just a fun BBQ with friends for her bday since she won't remember it and we don't know too many people with kids, haha. She will be eating some cake though! haha isn't that the whole point of having a party? lol

Here's some photos of my life recently:

My peanut is not such a peanut anymore. :(

Mother's Day
Jimmy Buffett Drive-In Concert
Father's Day

Before (Oct. 2012)
After (June 2014)


Also random, but a friend's (from college) wife messaged me on Facebook and said she heard I had jaw surgery and she was nearing her surgery time and wanted to know if I could answer some questions for her. I told her I was happy to and showed her the link to my blog- little did I know that she also has Dr. Ochs as her surgeon! I told her she is in GOOD hands! It's nice to find someone that has had Dr. Ochs, too bad it's AFTER my surgery but I'm glad I was able to reassure her. She is, like I was, FULL of questions. I feel so thankful to have had this great blogging community to turn to with all my questions! :) Love you all!

Comments

  1. You look so beautiful :) I love to see all the smiling pictures :) I am so happy for you!! Best feeling ever am I right!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cassie! Your pics are gorgeous, too! Smiling is seriously the best! Can't wait for these braces to be off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bolavita(titik)co ! Setiap Hari ada bonus menarik dari kami. FREE PENDAFTARAN !!! www.bolatangkasmm.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

De-braced!

As of Tuesday- my braces are officially off! :) And let me tell you... I can't stop taking selfies!!! Just minutes after getting out of the orthodontist's office.  Everyone was so excited for me! It took approximately one minute to get them off. That's so crazy! Hurt a little bit, but not much and was sooo quick. Bye bye braces AND arch wire! YUP. You read that right! I don't need an arch wire on the roof of my mouth anymore! He said I should be fine without it!!! So right now I have NO metal in my mouth! *hallelujiah* I have my upper (plastic) retainer. It's amazing and beautiful. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it! I will have to wear both my retainers 24/7 (except for eating and brushing) for 4 months. That's like nothing, haha. I don't have my bottom retainer yet. He asked me if I'm okay with a regular (metal) one for the bottom. I don't even care, haha. So I will be getting that one next week. They said it might be hard to talk wit

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul

1 YEAR POST OP

Well HEY! Nothing much has been happening with my mouth lately (WHICH IS GREAT!) so that's why I haven't updated or anything. But TODAY marks ONE YEAR since my jaw was broken in two places! Can't believe that I went though with it. It was honestly the best medical decision of my life (except for maybe my epidural HAHA). I wear my retainers in the evenings and all night. I see my orthodontist and my surgeon in April. I'm hoping I get the go ahead from my ortho to only wear to bed, but we'll see. I'm still extremely happy with my smile. There are tiny gaps in little places occurring but there's nothing I can do about those- says my ortho. Just normal movement. They don't bother me either. I still can't really feel my upper gums, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's just weird sometimes. I love my smile! I wish I had more to say, but here's some photo spam instead. :P Me, TODAY. Loving life and my new smile!  Me