Skip to main content

Official diagnosis...

So upper jaw surgery.. that's happening... in less than two months now... 
My official diagnosis is related to maxillary hypoplasia and maxillary asymmetry
Here's a great description of maxillary hypoplasia (from wiseGeek.com) - "Maxillary hypoplasia is an underdevelopment of the bones in the upper jaw. This condition can give the middle of the face a sunken appearance, and makes the lower jaw look like it is protruding even if it is anatomically normal."
Reason of development- "usually as a result of poorly planned dental extractions. If teeth are removed from the upper jaw, it may fail to develop, and could become sunken over time."
Three or four teeth (I can't remember how many) were removed from the upper and two from my lower jaw as a child. My mouth was just too small and didn't fit everything, so they thought they were doing the right thing. I'm sure this is one of the underlying causes of my problems. 
In addition to aesthetically unpleasing outcome- "it can make it hard to eat, and may cause problems in the future for the patient."
Which it does, since my jaw doesn't connect together correctly- it has caused havoc on my teeth- which were not great (soft) to begin with. My mom had the same teeth as me, but didn't have the jaw problems I have. She still has almost all of her teeth root canaled, bridges and crowns everywhere. I'm hoping to avoid this problem. Unfortunately I already have two crowns and one root canaled tooth. 
As for maxillary asymmetry- it basically means that my midlines are off. My jaw is crooked. It's not a huge deal to me aestetically, but it does cause the underlying problems related to TMJ and obviously my teeth not lining up.
A lot of technical stuff but that's the official diagnosis. Here's the before smile-
April 2012 - you can see the result of the hypoplasia - the overjet. 
April 2012 - This is even after a set of braces in my teens, haha.
Today, January 2014
Obviously a lot of work has already been accomplished in my year with braces. My gap has closed a lot, but I'm still only hitting one tooth on my left side. It's torture. 

Also did I mention that I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing? Ugh. Put in for my three weeks off work. I don't think my boss is too thrilled, but whatever. I can't put this off for forever. Fingers crossed I'm not dying still after the three-week post-surgery mark...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul

De-braced!

As of Tuesday- my braces are officially off! :) And let me tell you... I can't stop taking selfies!!! Just minutes after getting out of the orthodontist's office.  Everyone was so excited for me! It took approximately one minute to get them off. That's so crazy! Hurt a little bit, but not much and was sooo quick. Bye bye braces AND arch wire! YUP. You read that right! I don't need an arch wire on the roof of my mouth anymore! He said I should be fine without it!!! So right now I have NO metal in my mouth! *hallelujiah* I have my upper (plastic) retainer. It's amazing and beautiful. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it! I will have to wear both my retainers 24/7 (except for eating and brushing) for 4 months. That's like nothing, haha. I don't have my bottom retainer yet. He asked me if I'm okay with a regular (metal) one for the bottom. I don't even care, haha. So I will be getting that one next week. They said it might be hard to talk wit

Mardi Gras fun?

There's just not enough hours in the day anymore... Thankfully, our little one has been mostly sleeping through the night so I can go to bed at a normal hour... like 10 rather than 8:30... to get my precious sleep in. It's only March 4th and I have YET AGAIN added ANOTHER dental appointment. And an eye doctor appointment for kicks... Here's ANOTHER updated appt. schedule. Kill me now. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regular ortho appt March 11th 6th- Pre-Op appt with surgeon (Moved up for some reason related to the dental school where my surgeon is the Dean). March 17th AM- Ortho is going to remove my wire for my dentist (at a different office, ugh.) March 17th PM- Cavity filling March 18th- Ortho to get wire back on and surgical hooks attached March 21st- Call hospital to get exact surgery time March 22nd- Eye doctor's appointment (yes- it was necessary) March 24th- JAW SURGERY Shut the front door. Too much to handle. A