Skip to main content

ONE MONTH POST-OP!

April 24. One month after jaw surgery! I can't believe it's been a whole month. My baby girl just turned 9 months old. And I had my jaw broken one month ago! It's been a ride. I'm still the kind of tired that sleep can't fix, haha. Perpetually tired.

Swelling: It comes and goes. Always worse on my left side. Still look like a chipmunk. Makes me very sad. I just need to remind myself that it won't be there forever. And I had major surgery a month ago. I can't expect things to go back to normal so quickly. I think I just had expectations that after 3 weeks most of the swelling would be gone from looking at others' blogs. I guess everyone is different. Whatever. I'm trying to get over it. I just make people take pictures of me from my right side. It's a little less swollen, haha.

Numbness: Been getting a lot of upper lip and below the nose tingles! Little tingles on my cheeks, too! That's a good sign! In the past few days a lot of feeling has come back. I'm not annoyed with the numbness anymore- just putting in my contacts in the morning is sometimes a pain because I'm not fully awake and my upper cheeks are still slightly numb. So I sometimes can't hold my eye open wide enough, haha. A weird side effect of jaw surgery.

Pain: At the end of the day my teeth sometimes feel a little more sensitive/sore. Especially if I eat any chocolate or sweets. I had some caramel chocolate eggs on Easter and that was a bad idea, haha. Not only did I get it all over my hands from breaking it up to get it small enough, but I also got it all over my splint. Definitely brushed my teeth after that one, haha. Also my upper gums bother me from the surgical hooks. I can't wait to get those off in less than 2 weeks! May 6th is going to be a great day! :)

Photo spam!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing the swelling on the front of my cheeks. Definite improvement.
I'm kind of obsessed with my new profile (nose shape). LOVE it. And my neckline.
The jawline shows itself!!! :)
Left side.
Right side. Was trying to get a better shot of the swelling. Didn't work. 
Here you can kind of tell the swelling is worse on my left side. 


Photo from Easter Sunday with my peanut. You can really see the annoying swelling that won't go away in this photo (a left-sided photo, haha). 

Alright my next update with probably be after the splint removal!!!!! Can't wait!!!!! One month down!!! Only 12 more days with the splint and then I can chew again!! :)

Comments

  1. You are looking wonderful! It's amazing how some people have surgery and they look so different and others have it and they look the same. Hope all is well with you and the family ! Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! I definitely feel like my changes are more internal (except for my profile) and once I start chewing again I hope that my quality of life will improve drastically, haha.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1 YEAR POST OP

Well HEY! Nothing much has been happening with my mouth lately (WHICH IS GREAT!) so that's why I haven't updated or anything. But TODAY marks ONE YEAR since my jaw was broken in two places! Can't believe that I went though with it. It was honestly the best medical decision of my life (except for maybe my epidural HAHA). I wear my retainers in the evenings and all night. I see my orthodontist and my surgeon in April. I'm hoping I get the go ahead from my ortho to only wear to bed, but we'll see. I'm still extremely happy with my smile. There are tiny gaps in little places occurring but there's nothing I can do about those- says my ortho. Just normal movement. They don't bother me either. I still can't really feel my upper gums, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's just weird sometimes. I love my smile! I wish I had more to say, but here's some photo spam instead. :P Me, TODAY. Loving life and my new smile!  Me...

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul...

Almost 5 months post-op!

WOW this year is just FLYING by. I have my rubber band back on. Tight ones this time. Not really a big deal. But that happened. Got my expander in place! It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. It doesn't affect my speaking AT ALL and it's super easy to keep clean because there's a lot of space above it. Here it is: No more big thick wire for me! My upper gums are still numb. It doesn't really affect me- I'm just concerned I'm not brushing at well as I used to. I'm trying. Thinking about rescheduling my dentist cleaning appt. I probably shouldn't though. Not sure when these braces are coming off.... I'll ask what the dentist office thinks. On that note I am SO unhappy with the color my upper teeth have become. A combination of bad enamel, too much coffee and braces. Not cool. Can't wait to get these stupid things off! My ortho keeps saying "it won't be long now!" I had 3 appts in a row and he was pretty positi...