Skip to main content

Official diagnosis...

So upper jaw surgery.. that's happening... in less than two months now... 
My official diagnosis is related to maxillary hypoplasia and maxillary asymmetry. 
Here's a great description of maxillary hypoplasia (from wiseGeek.com) - "Maxillary hypoplasia is an underdevelopment of the bones in the upper jaw. This condition can give the middle of the face a sunken appearance, and makes the lower jaw look like it is protruding even if it is anatomically normal."
Reason of development- "usually as a result of poorly planned dental extractions. If teeth are removed from the upper jaw, it may fail to develop, and could become sunken over time."
Three or four teeth (I can't remember how many) were removed from the upper and two from my lower jaw as a child. My mouth was just too small and didn't fit everything, so they thought they were doing the right thing. I'm sure this is one of the underlying causes of my problems. 
In addition to aesthetically unpleasing outcome- "it can make it hard to eat, and may cause problems in the future for the patient."
Which it does, since my jaw doesn't connect together correctly- it has caused havoc on my teeth- which were not great (soft) to begin with. My mom had the same teeth as me, but didn't have the jaw problems I have. She still has almost all of her teeth root canaled, bridges and crowns everywhere. I'm hoping to avoid this problem. Unfortunately I already have two crowns and one root canaled tooth. 
As for maxillary asymmetry- it basically means that my midlines are off. My jaw is crooked. It's not a huge deal to me aestetically, but it does cause the underlying problems related to TMJ and obviously my teeth not lining up.
A lot of technical stuff but that's the official diagnosis. Here's the before smile-
April 2012 - you can see the result of the hypoplasia - the overjet. 
April 2012 - This is even after a set of braces in my teens, haha.
Today, January 2014
Obviously a lot of work has already been accomplished in my year with braces. My gap has closed a lot, but I'm still only hitting one tooth on my left side. It's torture. 

Also did I mention that I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing? Ugh. Put in for my three weeks off work. I don't think my boss is too thrilled, but whatever. I can't put this off for forever. Fingers crossed I'm not dying still after the three-week post-surgery mark...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 YEAR POST OP

Well HEY! Nothing much has been happening with my mouth lately (WHICH IS GREAT!) so that's why I haven't updated or anything. But TODAY marks ONE YEAR since my jaw was broken in two places! Can't believe that I went though with it. It was honestly the best medical decision of my life (except for maybe my epidural HAHA). I wear my retainers in the evenings and all night. I see my orthodontist and my surgeon in April. I'm hoping I get the go ahead from my ortho to only wear to bed, but we'll see. I'm still extremely happy with my smile. There are tiny gaps in little places occurring but there's nothing I can do about those- says my ortho. Just normal movement. They don't bother me either. I still can't really feel my upper gums, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's just weird sometimes. I love my smile! I wish I had more to say, but here's some photo spam instead. :P Me, TODAY. Loving life and my new smile!  Me...

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul...

Almost 5 months post-op!

WOW this year is just FLYING by. I have my rubber band back on. Tight ones this time. Not really a big deal. But that happened. Got my expander in place! It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. It doesn't affect my speaking AT ALL and it's super easy to keep clean because there's a lot of space above it. Here it is: No more big thick wire for me! My upper gums are still numb. It doesn't really affect me- I'm just concerned I'm not brushing at well as I used to. I'm trying. Thinking about rescheduling my dentist cleaning appt. I probably shouldn't though. Not sure when these braces are coming off.... I'll ask what the dentist office thinks. On that note I am SO unhappy with the color my upper teeth have become. A combination of bad enamel, too much coffee and braces. Not cool. Can't wait to get these stupid things off! My ortho keeps saying "it won't be long now!" I had 3 appts in a row and he was pretty positi...