Skip to main content

Braces: A Reflection

So I was thinking about my braces- and how annoying they are. And that got me thinking about when I used to have braces in grade school/high school. They were the best at killing my self esteem. I don't even remember when I got them. 7th grade? I'm pretty sure I had them for about three years though. That's a really long time.

And now here we are again.

My current orthodontist said that my older orthodontist did as much as he could with the tools he had, but the underlying problem is my jaw- not the teeth. Jaw surgery was never really on the table as an option and was not mentioned. I still had tons of cavities, but they didn't really affect the integrity of my teeth too much.

And now- after three crowns, one root canal and DOZENS of fillings- we're finally getting to the "root" of the problem. The reality is that I would be in dentures by the time I'm 40 if I continued down this path.

I couldn't even find an old photo of me with braces. They never really bothered me until I hit 7th grade. I got contacts & braces all in the same year- when I was actually starting to care about my appearance. I never gave "toothy grins" in photos for approximately seven years until my braces were off.

Having a newborn, trying to stay healthy, dealing with braces, thinking about jaw surgery (plus the cost) is not doing good things for my stress levels. I probably have too much on my brain to worry about. Keeping my mind busy is what I'm good at though- and I will continue to think about these things- but only to the extent of which I can do anything about it. Here's a good motto:


Don't worry! Be Happy! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 YEAR POST OP

Well HEY! Nothing much has been happening with my mouth lately (WHICH IS GREAT!) so that's why I haven't updated or anything. But TODAY marks ONE YEAR since my jaw was broken in two places! Can't believe that I went though with it. It was honestly the best medical decision of my life (except for maybe my epidural HAHA). I wear my retainers in the evenings and all night. I see my orthodontist and my surgeon in April. I'm hoping I get the go ahead from my ortho to only wear to bed, but we'll see. I'm still extremely happy with my smile. There are tiny gaps in little places occurring but there's nothing I can do about those- says my ortho. Just normal movement. They don't bother me either. I still can't really feel my upper gums, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's just weird sometimes. I love my smile! I wish I had more to say, but here's some photo spam instead. :P Me, TODAY. Loving life and my new smile!  Me...

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul...

Almost 5 months post-op!

WOW this year is just FLYING by. I have my rubber band back on. Tight ones this time. Not really a big deal. But that happened. Got my expander in place! It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. It doesn't affect my speaking AT ALL and it's super easy to keep clean because there's a lot of space above it. Here it is: No more big thick wire for me! My upper gums are still numb. It doesn't really affect me- I'm just concerned I'm not brushing at well as I used to. I'm trying. Thinking about rescheduling my dentist cleaning appt. I probably shouldn't though. Not sure when these braces are coming off.... I'll ask what the dentist office thinks. On that note I am SO unhappy with the color my upper teeth have become. A combination of bad enamel, too much coffee and braces. Not cool. Can't wait to get these stupid things off! My ortho keeps saying "it won't be long now!" I had 3 appts in a row and he was pretty positi...