Skip to main content

Summer surgery?

My orthodontist called me today and said he met with the surgeon and went over my molds and they think I'm READY for SURGERY. Possibly this summer. Oh baby. Literally oh baby.

I had to kindly remind my orthodontist that I would be giving birth in July- thus surgery is very much out of the question. Darn baby. (Whom I already love dearly and do not blame in any way, LOL)

I should have known that my braces wouldn't be on for too long since my teeth weren't that crooked to begin with.

So while this is GREAT news... I'll still have braces until at least early winter. The ortho said I'll get my "final" wire on next week... then it's a waiting game.

He suggested waiting until after the baby is born to call the surgeon- then we can start the process of getting it scheduled, since it will take several months to set that up.

Here's my current mouth- my teeth are all very straight and just my jaw is whacked clearly. More so since I got that tooth pulled. Still haven't figured out what we're doing about that.
Still banded, but as straight as they're gonna get!

This was in November I think. Definite improvement. (It's backwards, fyi)
Well that's my update. Life is pretty crazy with baby stuff right now. Just trying to survive it all. :) I'm loving every second of it.

My braces suck, but really they don't affect me very much anymore. I can handle them. The surgery on the other hand- is a whole 'notha story. Especially with a newborn. I'm nervous that it will affect my ability to be a good mom, but I just need to remind myself that it is only a month or two that I won't be "myself." Clearly I'm not defined by my eating habits and shouldn't let that hinder my ability to be a normal person, whether or not I can open my mouth or not, LOL.

Have a great day, peeps! So happy that it's feeling like spring outside finally! :)

Comments

  1. Just ran across your blog : ) I just had double jaw surgery 14 days ago, and I was just telling my husband that I am now glad I went ahead with it. I can imagine especially the first 2 weeks will be difficult with a young baby, but you will survive! Seems like you are optimistic, that will help you get through it! : ) Hope you have safe delivery and the little one is healthy! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather! Just getting around to responding to your comment now- haha! Life is crazy with a newborn obviously. And I know that those first two weeks will be the worst but thankfully I'm going to have some awesome family members helping me out. So I'm trying not to stress so I can focus solely on getting healed up quick! Hope your recovery is going great! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1 YEAR POST OP

Well HEY! Nothing much has been happening with my mouth lately (WHICH IS GREAT!) so that's why I haven't updated or anything. But TODAY marks ONE YEAR since my jaw was broken in two places! Can't believe that I went though with it. It was honestly the best medical decision of my life (except for maybe my epidural HAHA). I wear my retainers in the evenings and all night. I see my orthodontist and my surgeon in April. I'm hoping I get the go ahead from my ortho to only wear to bed, but we'll see. I'm still extremely happy with my smile. There are tiny gaps in little places occurring but there's nothing I can do about those- says my ortho. Just normal movement. They don't bother me either. I still can't really feel my upper gums, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's just weird sometimes. I love my smile! I wish I had more to say, but here's some photo spam instead. :P Me, TODAY. Loving life and my new smile!  Me...

I'm yellin' timber...

Honestly... every time I CROSS-OFF an appointment. I add another one. This is getting a little out of control. I thought everything went pretty well on Thursday, but then the resident called me on Friday night to say that we need to RE-DO my upper molds. Sigh. He said that he has NEVER had this happen before and no one really knows what happened? Whatevs. He was SUPER apologetic and says it'll only take a few min. I talked to him last night and he gave me his personal cellphone number and is having me call him when I get there so he can do it right away. He's really a nice guy. I can't be too mad because he's being super nice about it. Even saying I can park in the free lot since it's $5 usually to park in Oakland. Woot. I'm just thankful I can just pop over after work. I know some people travel super far for jaw surgery. Anyway here's my (hopefully final) updated appt schedule. February 20th- Regular cleaning (with my regs dentist) March 4th- Regul...

Almost 5 months post-op!

WOW this year is just FLYING by. I have my rubber band back on. Tight ones this time. Not really a big deal. But that happened. Got my expander in place! It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. It doesn't affect my speaking AT ALL and it's super easy to keep clean because there's a lot of space above it. Here it is: No more big thick wire for me! My upper gums are still numb. It doesn't really affect me- I'm just concerned I'm not brushing at well as I used to. I'm trying. Thinking about rescheduling my dentist cleaning appt. I probably shouldn't though. Not sure when these braces are coming off.... I'll ask what the dentist office thinks. On that note I am SO unhappy with the color my upper teeth have become. A combination of bad enamel, too much coffee and braces. Not cool. Can't wait to get these stupid things off! My ortho keeps saying "it won't be long now!" I had 3 appts in a row and he was pretty positi...